Wednesday 26 August 2020

Just like Granny’s!

 I was very fortunate if a little reluctant to be gifted some windfall apples recently.

I haven’t baked anything for years, my reason being that if I bake it I have to eat it ... and I can do without the calories!

So I perused the Internet searching for a suitable recipe that didn’t require ingredients that I will never use again, and didn’t require too much effort. There are so many recipes out there, tried and tasted apparently by their creators. I wanted something a little more challenging than an apple crumble, which I rediscovered in my trusty old Be-Ro book. I was side-tracked for a while as I carefully turned the remains of the pages, remembering all the dishes I have made using this book, handed to me by my Granny many many years ago. It was always my reliable go-to for basic cakes that could be made special enough for Sunday teas and even birthday cakes. Enough daydreaming, and back to my search! 

I happened upon a promising recipe which called for very few ingredients and was an easy rubbed-in method so required no special equipment! The only thing I needed to buy was a loaf tin - perfect!

And so my Apple Loaf was born, emerging from the oven with the most delicious aroma ... and now I am sitting with a cup of Earl Grey tea and a slice of my cake.

Thinking about all the cakes and cookies I can bake ... mmm!




No comments:

Post a Comment